The Flame device is the official reference device for developing, testing, and debugging Firefox OS and open web apps. This guide provides basic information about its hardware specifications as well as practical documentation specific experimenting with, developing for, and testing of software compatible with this phone.
The Flame hardware offers a representative set of specs — including FWVGA display and dual-core processor — to help developers build great content and experiences. A single hardware platform is also good for testers, making it easier to test and address specific software issues without having to worry about device model-specific bugs, etc.
If you have your phone in hand and want to start playing with it, developing and distributing apps, or contributing to the Firefox platform, the following links will also get you where you need to go:
- Firefox OS zone: For creating your own Firefox OS builds and contributing to the B2G and Gaia projects.
- App Center zone: For building open web apps compatible with Firefox OS.
- Marketplace zone: For information on publishing and distributing apps.
- Firefox Marketplace: The best place to find and publish new Firefox OS apps.
If you’d like to find out more about updating the operating system, recovering it, pushing apps to it, or phone specs, you’ll find the information you need at the following two articles:
- Initial setup: Essential steps to follow for setting up your computer to work with your Flame.
- Updating your Flame: How to update or upgrade Firefox OS on your Flame, push apps to it, and troubleshoot and test it.
Get a device
Flame sales have come to an end. There are still plenty of opportunities left for Mozilla contributors to get free Flames, including an upcoming second round of the Foxtrot program. If you have questions about getting a free device for development or testing, please reach out to Asa Dotzler or Marcia Knous (marcia) on IRC.
- GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz
- Wifi 802.11b/g/n
- Bluetooth 3.0
- FM radio
- Proximity Sensor
- GPS W / A-GPS support
- Ambient Light Sensor